The general answer is “no”, fumed silica is not a dangerous material.
Fumed silica is an non-toxic non-harmful material. It is not combustible nor explosive. In fact fumed silica has been applied in cosmetic, food and drugs for years.
Due to its strong hygroscopicity(absorbing moisture), it may caused dry skin when directly contacted with skin. The particle size of fumed silica is extremely small, the ultra light-weighted aggregates can be easily floated in air. Long term exposure will causes harms to lung.
Personal protection equipment:
Respiratory protection is not required. Where protection from nuisance levels of dusts are desired, use type N95 (US) or type P1 (EN 143) dust masks. Use respirators and components tested and approved under appropriate government standards such as NIOSH (US) or CEN (EU).
Hand protection: For prolonged or repeated contact use protective gloves.
Eye protection: Safety glasses with side shields or chemical safety goggles.
Other protective clothing or equipment: Barrier cream may be used to prevent dryness of skin.
General hygiene and protection measures:
Do not breathe dust/vapor/mist/gas/aerosol. Wash thoroughly after handling.
Detailed Potential Health Effects
- Eye Contact: May cause mechanical irritation. Irritating, but will not permanent Low hazard for usual industrial or commercial handling.
- Skin Contact: Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking.
- Inhalation: Dust may be irritating to respiratory tract. Provide appropriate exhaust ventilation at machinery and at places where dust can be generated.
- Ingestion: Health injuries are not known or expected under normal use. Low hazard for usual industrial or commercial handling.
- Carcinogenic Effects: Does not contain any substances greater than 0.1% listed by IARC, NTP, OSHA, ACGIH or EU.
* For First Aid Measures and more other details, please go to our MSDS of Hydrophilic Fumed Silica, MSDS of Hydrophobic Fumed Silica.
About XYSIL® and Xunyuchem
Henan Xunyu Chemical Co., Ltd a professional fumed silica manufacturer from China. It dedicates to fumed silica’s researching, manufacturing and marketing since the year of 2006. Its annual capacity of fumed silica is over 6,000 Mt.
XYSIL® has grown as a famous fumed silica brand in the international market. Since 2010, XYSIL® entered over 40 countries all over the world. With high quality and competitive price, it has builds a solid reputation amount customers in paints/coatings, adhesives/sealants, silicone rubbers, etc.